If you look at the culture and nation of any people, you will notice that there are always some special ceremonies where people gather together. Whether these ceremonies have religious or historical roots, they all have a common element and that is meals. In each of the thousands of ceremonies that are held in the world, in addition to performing their own customs and traditions, various and special foods are also served. In Iran, despite the great ethnic and racial diversity, thousands of assemblies and ceremonies are held every year. Two popular occasions that all Iranians celebrate every year, regardless of race and religion, are Nowruz and Yalda Night. These two occasions are a very good opportunity for friends and relatives to gather together and enjoy. Of course, food should not be excluded from the enjoyment of parties. Undoubtedly, no one can remove nuts from the party, and of course no one will have the power to remove pistachios from nuts. Among the varieties of pistachios, the Kaleguchi pistachio can make your party enjoyable and beautiful, and for this reason, it is one of the most popular nuts for Nowruz or Yalda night. In this article, we are going to introduce you to Kaleguchi pistachio, gem and ornament of any nut dish.
Why is this pistachio called Kaleguchi?
The name of agricultural products, especially pistachio, is taken from the area of cultivation, the person who cultivated it for the first time, or their shape and size. The name of this pistachio is Kaleguchi (goat ‘s head) because its shape is very similar to a goat ‘s head. Of course, the Kaleguchi pistachio is also known as “Haj Sharifi” pistachio in the market. The reason for this naming was a person named Haj Ali Sharifi who for the first time identified and cultivated this variety of pistachio in the village of Dehno Rafsanjan.
Where are Kaleguchi pistachios grown?
This pistachio was identified and cultivated for the first time in the village of Dehno, Rafsanjan; But today, the center of the best pistachios of Kaleguchi and Ahmad Aghaei variety in the country is in Noug Rafsanjan region.
What are the uses of Kaleguchi pistachios?
The coarseness and heaviness of the Kaleguchi pistachio has made this pistachio to be used to make all kinds of parties and occasions luxurious and magnificent. In addition to the size, the unique taste of this pistachio has caused it to be used in cooking, confectionery, ice cream industry and other types of pistachio products.
Why is the Kaleguchi, one of the most famous and popular cultivars in the world?
Undoubtedly, the first and most prominent feature of this pistachio variety is its large and heavy kernel. The large size of this pistachio’s kernel, its beautiful shape and of course its excellent taste have all made the Kaleguchi pistachio one of the most popular types of pistachio in the world.
Characteristics of the tree and the fruiting of the Kaleguchi pistachio
- The tree of this pistachio has medium growth power and wide growth habit.
- The length of the pistachio tree is 5.5 meters on average.
- The trunk diameter of this tree is larger and thicker than other pistachio cultivars.
- Due to its commercial and economic importance, it has the largest area of cultivation in pistachio gardens after the Ohadi pistachio.
- The color of the leaves of this tree is darker than the Ohadi variety.
- This pistachio tree is early flowering in terms of flowering time.
- The beginning of flowering of the Kaleguchi pistachio is on March 30 and its full flower stage is on April 5.
- The flowering period of this pistachio is 13 days.
- The start of rapid growth of pistachio embryos is July 23.
- The length of the fruit cluster is 1.4 cm (short).
- The width of the fruit cluster is 1.2 cm (average).
- This pistachio tree is in medium category in terms of fruiting time.
- The ripening time of Kaleguchi pistachio fruits is September 6.
What are the characteristics of Kaleguchi pistachios?
- The shape of this pistachio is round and spherical.
- The size of the kernel is large and its weight is high, and for this reason it has a low weight (there are fewer pistachio in 1 kg of it).
- The color of the pistachio shell is red-brown when the fruit is ripe.
- The color (coating) of its kernel is grayish green.
- The color of its hard shell is slightly dark bone white.
How to distinguish Kaleguchi pistachios from other varieties when buying nuts?
Buying the luxurious type of Kaleguchi pistachios, requires spending more time and precision; Because this pistachio is the second most expensive pistachio in the market and your nut dish may not be beautiful enough despite spending a lot of money. Therefore, in addition to knowing the general characteristics of the Kaleguchi pistachio, you will be sure of your choice by comparing it with other cultivars.
- The first and most obvious feature of pistachios are their shape. pistachios are generally classified into two big categories: elongated (almond-shaped) and hazelnut (round and spherical). Among the four famous types of pistachios in the market, Ahmad Aghaei and Akbari pistachio are in the almond-shaped category due to their elongated appearance and are completely recognizable.
- Among the four types of pistachios, Kaleguchi and Fandoghi are more similar to each other and can make you hesitate to distinguish; Because the shape of both of them is round and spherical. The first way to distinguish is their size. The Kaleguchi pistachio is large (1.50 to 1.70 mm square); While the Fandoghi pistachio is a small pistachio (1.40 mm square).
- For a better diagnosis, you can also pay attention to the color of their kernel. The top of the pistachio kernel is grayish green; While the surface of the Fandoghi pistachio is purple.
- To get closer to the last stage of mental certainty, you can pay attention to the color of their hard shell. The hard shell of the Kaleguchi pistachio is dark bone white; While the hard shell of the Fandoghi pistachio is cream.
- You can also recognize them by their low ounce. There are about 700 to 800 kernels in each kilogram of Kaleguchi pistachios; While there are about 1000 to 1100 kernels in each kilogram of Fandoghi pistachios.
- Another way to identify that requires a little more precision is to pay attention to the hard shell edges of pistachios. Kaleguchi pistachios are recognizable because of their special arch. Fandoghipistachios are completely round and spherical; While the pistachios of Kaleguchi are slightly angular at the end edges of their hard shell.
Due to the large size of the Kaleguchi pistachios, they are more cracked than the hazelnut.
How many categories are Kaleguchi pistachios?
Kaleguchi pistachios are divided into two types, large and small Kaleguchi, according to the size. Generally, large Kaleguchi pistachios are used for export or in party nuts due to their large and beautiful kernels. the small Kaleguchi is mostly used in the ice cream industry, confectionery, etc. In terms of natural or artificial cracked (khandan), pistachios are divided into two categories: abkhandan and natural khandan.
- In natural cracked pistachios, the hard shell is naturally split due to the coarseness of the kernel. This pistachio is more expensive than Abkhandan type.
- In Abkhandan pistachios, the hard shell is opened with the help of mechanical and artificial devices and methods.
How are Kaleguchi pistachios exported?
As we said, this type of pistachio is divided into two categories. The natural and high-quality pistachios of Kaleguchi are suitable for export to quality-oriented countries such as France, Germany, England, Australia, etc. Of course, in another way, the natural and Abkhandan pistachios are mixed and exported to tonnage-oriented countries such as Russia, China and developing countries.
How to distinguish high-quality pistachio and natural cracked from the Abkhandan type?
natural cracked pistachios have a higher quality and of course a higher price, and this causes some profit-seeking people to sell you the cracked type of pistachio as natural cracked, at a higher price. To distinguish these two types of pistachios and prevent these people from profiteering, you can test your pistachios in the following ways.
- first choose a few pistachios and then shake them one by one near your ear. If you do not hear any noise; It means that your pistachio is naturally cracked and its large kernel does not have enough space to hit the hard walls and make noise. If you hear a sound while shaking the pistachio; It means that your pistachios are Abkhandan.
- In the second method, try to bring the edges of your selected pistachios to each other or at least bring them closer together. If the hard edges of the pistachio shell meet each other, it means that your pistachio is tender and closes easily despite its tiny kernel. If the edges of your pistachio’s bony shell do not meet, that means your pistachio is a naturally large and cracked pistachio!
Why are Kaleguchi pistachios expensive?
- This pistachio has the biggest kernel among all cultivars.
- The kernel is very tasty and delicious.
- Its cracked percentage is high and access to its kernel is easy.
- Its planting and harvesting conditions are more delicate and sensitive than other cultivars.
- Due to early flowering, it is in danger of frost and more damage.
Does pistachio have any other properties besides being delicious and tasty?
Yes! In addition to being a tasty and beautiful nut, pistachios have many healing and even beauty properties for the body. Pistachios contain a lot of minerals such as iron, copper, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, etc. In addition to rich minerals, pistachios contain a variety of vitamins such as vitamins C, A, E, K, B1, B6, etc. Copper and iron in pistachios can be very effective in treating anemia. In addition, vitamin B6 in it can strengthen the heart and blood vessels, the nervous system and the immune system. Vitamin E can also heal various skin inflammations and other areas of the body with the help of other pistachio anti-inflammatory substances. Vitamin A in pistachios can also play a very important role in strengthening your eyesight.
Pistachios are an inseparable part of nuts!
We all know that pistachios are always more popular than other party foods, and one of the reasons for that is its excellent and refreshing taste. In the following, we will have an overview of the characteristics of Kaleguchi pistachios:
- Kaleguchi pistachio is one of the most popular pistachio cultivars in Iran and the world due to its large and heavy kernel.
- Kaleguchi pistachio has a good percentage of cracked and its kernel is very easy to access.
- Pistachio nuts are very delicious and tasty.
- This pistachio is one of the most beautiful pistachio varieties and is considered an excellent option for formal and informal gatherings.
- Contains many nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins C, E, A, etc.
- It contains many minerals such as iron, calcium, copper, zinc, etc.
By buying and consuming pistachios, you will make your parties more luxurious and enjoyable.